Pages

Friday, December 6, 2013

Advent Journeying

Last Advent, I was neither Confirmed nor permitted to receive the Eucharist. It was a season of longing for me. Then Christmas came, and it was so very painful to not be able to receive Him still. My Advent continued for months, and attending Mass was extremely difficult. But I continued, knowing that I pleased Our Lord by simply going and bearing the pain, especially because I didn't like being there.

Eventually the pain dimmed, and then I was finally able to receive the Eucharist on Easter. It was a joyous night, but I knew in my heart that the time of waiting was not over. I would not be at rest until I was able to enter a convent. My Advent would continue.

But I think it is more than that. Advent is a journey towards God, but we will never fully get there in this life. We will always be longing for more, only fully satisfied when we are able to be with Him in Paradise.

So all of our Advents continue. They continue all of our lives. It would not be right otherwise, for we have not yet reached what our race was made for. We still have miles, years, months, and days to run before we get there. Let us fan the flame of our Advent longing, not hope that it goes away. It is good to desire God's love.

1 comment:

  1. This is beautiful. Our Advents continue all of our lives. I had never thought of this..... but how true. I love it.

    ReplyDelete